Lollie's Story...A client brought us Lollie on emergency. He was purchased by his new owners, unknowingly, from a local puppy mill. They just saw a cute little Pug bundle with dark face and enormous eyes. He was blind, stumbling, salivating excessively and head pressing. It was a boggle as to what was wrong with this little guy. He was only 7 weeks. We kept him, treated him for his immediate problems. He survived the night and after a few days seemed to be on the mend, so we gave him our blessing and told his new owner to watch him carefully. He was back in less than 48 hours with similar symptoms. The signs became obvious...he was a hydrocephalus puppy. His eyes buldged horribly out of his little head blindly seeking some relief. He was in our care again for the second time in less than three days. We tried to comfort him, hold him giving him reassuring soft tones as we spoke. Even our children took on a softer step trying not to overstimulate him. If we did he would start circling and head pressing, crying and vocalizing. It was painful to watch. We medicated him and watched him round the clock. He again came back. Something had happened though. He was hyperexcitable, neck arching and not quite stable on his feet. Brain Damage. His new owners felt they could not give him the care he needed and relinquished this little sickly Pug bundle to us. I thought...Ok, you have been in rescue 25 years. I am a hardened rescue person..I have seen it all. Our breed is the Great Dane, but we have had it all. We own two Puggies of our own along with a menagerie of other creatures including Pot-Bellied Pigs. My Husband is a veterinarian, I am an A.H.T. and we have had more critically ill animals in our house than I care to mention. This was no biggie.

We have our puppy pen in the kitchen and I put his carrier in it for him to sleep in. My days would begin with his wiggling yet unstable Puggy greeting. Lollie decided that being ON the crate instead of IN the crate to sleep was a desired position. He looked like Snoopy sitting up there wating for his morning pats. You could not hold or snuggling him as he would get extremely over stimulated. We just put our hand in his pen and he would rub your hand back and forth, waggin his curl. I am at home all day and I found myself getting very attached to this stoic little man. He had many minor episodes where he would pace his pen for hours. His eyes would start bulging and he would cry and moan softly. We would watch him very closely and he would always come out of it. The days he could get out of his pen to play were relished. My Chihuahuas were the perfect playmates, small and not to rough. He would chase his stuffed crab and shake it fiercely. I think those few days I was every bit as proud as I was for any of my children's accomplishemnts. One normal day down...GREAT! He played, he ate and he rested.

Thanksgiving Day came and it was horrible. I spent the entire day in his pen as he paced, his little eyes bulging. He kept getting worse and worse. I cried and cried. We had to separate him as even the lights in the house were to much for him. I prayed, I begged I pleaded to please not take this little guy away. He deserved so much more than a few short weeks of misery. I am going to be honest, I had fallen in love with this funny little man...HARD. He did get better, but only for a few short days.

His last morning was spent in my arms believe it or not. He actually rested in my arms while I worked on something at the kitchen table with my son. He even said " Look mommy Lollie is resting". I soaked in that time and absorbed his baby puppy smell. These moments were so few where he could tolerate being held. He started another episode later that afternoon. By the time the kids were in bed, I knew he was not going to get better this time. I have only felt that kind of panic a few time with animals, ones that I have formed an extreme bond. I love them all, but some are just very special. Mike said it was time. It was so crushing to hear, even though I knew. I held him in my arms while Mike gave him his anesthesia. He was asleep and really resting for the first time. I lay with him like that on my chest for a half an hour or more feeling his heartbeat and knowing he felt mine. Mike gave him his final dose and he slipped peacefully away. He was only 13 weeks old. My Little Lollie Bug was gone.

The puppy miller that had him called a few days later. We were trying to get our clients money back. That was all she was really worried about, her financial loss. She could not even identify his color or sex correctly. She said she was just a hobby breeder and did not know about genetic problems, she just bred dogs.

Lollie never got to play outside. He never got to feel the warm spring sun on his angelic little face. He never got to sit in a warm lap and snuggle. He never got to play with a child. He never got to romp with a toy. He never got to live.

Our program is called "Lollie's Love". Your dog and rescue organization have been serviced free of charge to honor his short life and all the short lives of those who suffer at the hands of those that breed, abuse, neglet and discard. When your dog plays outside or with a toy or naps in the sun, I would appreciate it if you would think of this little guy. I will always remember his baby doll face, his smell, the way he would wind his body around my hand to feel my presence. He was an angel...Please remember!

Dr. Michael and Candice Staub



Kentuckiana Pug Rescue PO Box 2773 Indianapolis, IN 46206 877-784-7988