Molly Grace ~ Home and Loved

Most of us wait until our special furkids pass onto Rainbow Bridge before we write a memorial to them. I wanted to share with you my Molly’s story and honor her now, as I hope to have many more years to come with her.

Molly Grace was known as Wendy in her previous life. Wendy was used as a breeder dog. She was kept in a crate her first 4 ½ years of life and made to breed every heat cycle. She was fed enough food to keep her alive and she had to fight for every bite that she got to eat. Her crate was not big enough for her to move around much, so much of the time she had to lie in her own waste. She had fleas crawling all over her and biting her all of the time. It hurt, and she would scratch, but it didn’t do any good. She learned to tolerate it. Her little mouth hurt from not having proper dental care. She was left outside in the weather, suffering through the heat of summer, cold of winter, and storms of spring.

When she went into labor with her puppies, she lay in pain for hours with no comforting touch or soft voice to tell her that she was going to be ok. She was left alone to birth her babies and tend to them by herself. She would lovingly nurse her babies, bathe them and care for them, until they got old enough to wean. Then suddenly, her babies were taken away from her without a thought or care as to how she loved them. She felt so alone. This was Wendy’s life for as long as she could remember.

Wendy started developing health problems. She got a painful hernia and a distended uterus. When she could no longer produce healthy puppies, Wendy was taken to a humane society and abandoned, along with two other female pugs that had also been used for breeder dogs in the same manner as she had been.

Some kind people contacted KPR, who came and got Wendy and the other two girls, and they were taken to a loving foster home. There, they were bathed over and over again until all of the fleas were gone. They were taken to the veterinarian and received medical attention. It was learned that Wendy also had ear mites, which can be painful when left untreated.

Wendy then began her new life. Her wonderful foster mom gave her the name of Molly. Molly was shown her first sign of human compassion in foster care. She was nurtured and loved, never knowing life outside of the crate before this time. The world would soon open up to this little pug.

When Molly’s new Momma saw her photo, she instantly was drawn to those caramel colored eyes and how they called out to her. She had recently lost a dear pug girl and her heart was still broken and hurting from the loss. Her first thought upon seeing Molly is that maybe Molly needed a home as much as she needed a puggy girl to love and ease the heartache.

After overcoming unforeseen obstacles, a way was made for Molly to go to her new family. She went home with a rag-bone to chew on, medicine for her ears, and her name. Molly’s Mom added the name ‘Grace’ to her first name, thus a little puggy girl, formerly known as Wendy, began a new life with her new family and a new name, Molly Grace.

Wendy/Molly, her first week at home

The first two weeks were extremely challenging for everyone. Molly had no idea that she was supposed to go outside to potty, so her new Momma often got up several times a night to take her outside to do her “business”. It was trial and error on both of their parts, but they soon formed a routine together. Molly was scared and was aggressive to her two brothers, as she had no idea what was happening to her or why, or if she was going to get to stay at this new place or be shuffled someplace else.

Molly Grace did not know how to play with toys…she had no idea what they were. She would sit back and observe her new brothers play, but she didn’t join in. She didn’t know how. She would watch the two boys playing for hours on end.

After several weeks, Molly came to be more confident and secure that she was finally home to stay. She soon learned what it meant when Momma would ask “do you want to go for a walk” and she would trot as fast as her little legs would carry her to try to keep up with her brothers on their nightly walk around the neighborhood. Of course, being with brothers is a challenge of it’s own when you’re a girl. Boys often make ‘pit stops’ at every mailbox. Have you ever seen a little girl lift her leg to pee? Molly can do!! It’s a funny sight to see! J These evening walks helped her to start interacting with her brothers, and soon, they were all getting along as true siblings. At night, they sleep on the dog bed, one big pile all snuggled in together in loving comfort.

In the mornings, after her “good morning” routine of following me to the bathroom and raising up for her back scratch and to give me a kiss, she will often be the first one out the door and down the steps to go potty. You can almost hear her saying “out of my way, I’ve got business to attend to…clear a path”. She’ll even go out in the rain, under duress, but she has learned the quicker she gets ‘business’ taken care of, the quicker she gets to go back inside and get a treat. We often do the “Happy Dance” at these times!

Molly was enjoying her newfound freedom, no longer kept in a crate all of the time, but allowed the freedom to explore and get to know “her” house, now called ‘home’. She had developed a habit of gnawing on her crate out of boredom when she was at the ‘bad place’. She had had to have several of her teeth removed due to decay and problems from this habit. She will still occasionally chew on something, but after gentle reminders, most of the time it is now a toy of some sort! There is no sweeter sound than to hear “squeak, squeak, squeak” from her favorite hotdog dog and know it’s Molly Grace, finally, after almost two years, playing with toys.

Molly hates to get her toenails cut, but most pugs do. She will, however, let her Momma paint them a pretty color. She wears pretty collars, specially made by her adopted Aunt Joan. She wears necklaces that her Momma or her adopted cousin, Libby, makes for her. She wears harness dresses, sweaters, and pretty clothes…often under duress…but when Momma laughs and tells her what a pretty girl she is, she knows it makes her Momma happy, so she tolerates it. I am hoping she will eventually get to where she enjoys it.

Molly loves to go for rides in the car. She especially loves her doggy car seat that her Aunt Sissy gave to her, and will sit up pretty and as tall as she can when she’s in it. That lasts until she starts getting sleepy from the car ride, then she will stretch out for a nap. She also loves her stroller and seemed to know that it was hers from the first time that she saw it. She will hop right in and is ready to go for a ride at a moment’s notice. She doesn’t try to get out neither.

In the mornings, Molly will wait, sometimes patiently, sometimes not so patiently, for her Momma to fix her breakfast. It’s so delicious; she can hardly wait to taste it! Such a big difference from when she was in the ‘bad place’. Her Momma cooks oatmeal with bananas or some kind of treat in it that’s good for her. She gets healthy snacks of mini-marshmallows, carrots, strawberries, yogurt, or apples…and occasionally a popsicle! Her little girlish figure has filled out somewhat since she arrived home. Her fur is now soft to the touch.

Molly loves to meet people and is often invited to her local schools to see the students and explain what rescue is all about. She is now so happy in her new life. We are hoping that any bad memories she may have are being replaced with new, happier ones of a family who loves her, just because she is herself. I often wonder if she thinks about her puppies. I know she is terrified of thunderstorms, and the only comfort she gets is being on my pillow when there is a storm outside. She loves to snuggle on the people bed with her Momma and Daddy, or with them in their recliners. I think it gives her a feeling of security to be close to us.

Her confidence has grown by leaps and bounds over the past year and a half. I often compare her to a little rosebud that has finally opened up into full bloom. She is enjoying her life to the fullest. Being her Momma, I am truly proud of this little girl and how far she has come in such a short time. She has accomplished so much and overcome many challenges. Nothing brings me greater joy than coming home in the afternoons and seeing her on the back porch watching and waiting for me…and hearing that little “welcome home, come hug me” bark that she gives me everyday…rain or shine.

Molly Grace has become a true inspiration to me. She has such forgiving, loving little soul…she has taught me, as I have taught her, and we continue to learn from each other.

Some of this is pure speculation on my part, as we have no way of truly knowing what Wendy/Molly endured before coming to rescue. But, it just goes to show what love, patience, kindness, and understanding can accomplish in the life of a little pug. I have also found that people either understand and they “get it” or else they just don’t. There is rarely an in-between. I feel sorry for those who don’t understand, as they have no idea of what they are missing out on.

We continue to pray for those that are not as lucky as Molly Grace to find homes with a family to care for and love them. We will continue to go to the schools when invited in hopes of educating the future generation of rescuers. We continue to work hard for the helpless.

Kentuckiana Pug Rescue • PO Box 2773 • Indianapolis, IN 46206 • • 877-784-7988